Reggie's Place

Reggie's Place
reggies regies regis place

Monday, April 30, 2012

I was going to write about water filters but there are so many great articles the cover the topic in great detail. 

Here is one of my favorites - http://www.backpacking-guide.com/water-filter-purifier-reviews.html

I just recently purchased the Sawyer 4 Liter Complete Water Purification System and I love it. 

I also have the MSR MiniWorks. I felt that a ceramic filter couple with the ease of field maintainability was a great design and very safe. However, with new technology camping gear just keeps getting better. The Sawyer is just about bomb proof, not as field maintainable but you really shouldn't need to do anything except back flush this simple inline filter. 

Prior to this I have either boiled my water or had used chemical treatment. All fine options and if you find yourself somewhere else other than Northern Europe, or North America always carry some chemical treatment. 



But, and this is a big one for me, I sometimes lack patience and hate waiting. Chemical, boil, UV and pumping all require me to use my time waiting for the water to be ready. With the Sawyer gravity system I can fill it up, hang it and get back to getting my back country kitchen set up. In a few minutes I have a few liters of water ready to go. Fill it up again and let it hang and there is my dish and water for the night. Maybe 1 minute to fill it in a river or stream. It really cuts down my time regarding water management. 

Oh and this filter has a 1 million gallon guarantee. 

-Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment