Reggie's Place

Reggie's Place
reggies regies regis place

Friday, April 20, 2012

If you're starting out with any adventure it's best to plan ahead for any possible mishaps. Get yourself a good medical kit, one for the car, one for the backpack. Get a book of knowledge regarding how to best treat back country injuries read it cover to cover then put it in the med kit. Medical knowledge and preparation in the back country could be very beneficial. Don't ever rely on a cell phone or any other communication device. Rely on your own intuition.

I only bring this up because that same mentality can be handy for multiple situations. Wrapping duck tape around a bottle, having a needle and thread available or bringing a few plastic bags for whatever reason is all preparation for the unexpected.

A perfect example is my bike ride today. I planned a 15 miler, nothing to intensive and on familiar terrain. This was the second ride of the season, still tweaking everything. I had a bike tool, patch kit but no hand pump. No worries though, I've only had a flat maybe twice. The first was before I even got going, the second was within walking distance to the car.

However, the unexpected loves doing its job. On my ride the first 2.5 miles is uphill then it levels out and drops, levels out again and I start heading back. On my way back the last 2.5 miles is excellent downhill, good straights, good switchbacks and the right slope that I'm not white knuckled.

Right before the downhill I lower the air pressure in my tires, do it all the time, and start the decent. Not even 300 ft into the decent and I get squirrelly on some rocks and pop goes the back tire. With no pump and only patches this meant just short of a 2.5 mile hike back to the car carrying the bike. No epic downhill and a 2.5 mile walk I cannot get back.

Lesson Learned - Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment